The City of Bowling Green has taken on the important and monumental task of updating the Zoning Code and Zoning Map, with the help of a company named ZoneCo. The Zoning Code was first adopted in 1975, with minor amendments occurring as need or requested over the decades. This project was identified as a priority to help align the Zoning Code with the recommendations of recent City Comprehensive Plan documents (the Future Land Use Plan and Community Action Plan). The goals of the update are: simplification and modernization, removal of barriers to new businesses, the creation of a walkable urban center, local identity and placemaking, housing options, maintenance of neighborhoods, and health and fitness.
Presentations, introducing draft Articles of the Zoning Code, were held on October 11, 2021, and February 16, 2022, which introduced Zones, Districts, Uses, and Definitions. On June 1, the Draft Zoning Code, in its entirety, was introduced to the public at the Planning Commission meeting. The Draft Zoning Code and Map are posted to the City’s website: www.bgohio.org/zoningcodeupdate.
Public comments will be accepted online via the City’s website until July 1, 2022. Opportunities for public comment will also be available at future Planning Commission and City Council meetings and required public hearings. Comments received through the City webpage will be sent to the Planning Commission and City Council weekly until the July 1, 2022 deadline.
The proposed timeline, subject to change by Planning Commission and City Council, is as follows:
- June 1 – Administrative Draft of the Zoning Code introduced in its entirety to the public during the Planning Commission meeting.
- June 1 through July 1: Public comments submitted online on each Article and/or the proposed Zoning Map (which are then provided to Planning Commission and City Council weekly). Public comments acceptance on-line ends on July 1. However, there will still be a work session and public hearings for further opportunities for public input.
- July 6: Planning Commission holds work session to discuss the Administrative Draft of the Zoning Code and any public comments received thus far. Public comments will also be welcomed at the meeting. This meeting will be held Wednesday, July 6 at 7:00 p.m. at City Council Chamber, 304 North Church Street. It will also be live streamed on the City’s YouTube channel at www.bgohio.org/meetings.
- August 3: Planning Commission reviews edits, has further discussion, an additional opportunity for public input, and schedules a public hearing to review the Draft Zoning Code with any additional edits for their September meeting.
- September 7: Planning Commission holds a public hearing on the Zoning Code/Zoning Map, then makes a recommendation to City Council.
- October: City Council reviews the Draft Zoning Code and recommendations from Planning Commission of potential edits, which likely would be a work session of the Committee of the Whole.
- November/December: City Council continues their review and editing of the Draft Zoning Code, the scheduling of a public hearing, moving toward adoption of a new Zoning Code/Zoning Map.
Draft Zoning Code and Zoning Map
The Draft Zoning Code is laid out as follows:
TABLE OF CONTENTS
• ARTICLE I: Introduction to Using This Code
• ARTICLE II: District and Zone Regulations
• ARTICLE III: Uses
• ARTICLE IV: Generally Applicable Standards
• ARTICLE V: Nonconformities
• ARTICLE VI: Administration and Procedures
• ARTICLE VII: Glossary of Terms (PDF)
The City has also created an Interactive Map, which allows the public to click on a parcel to show the “Current” and “Proposed Zoning”. After reviewing the proposed zoning, Articles II and III can be reviewed to learn more about the proposed Districts and Zones, along with the proposed permitted and conditional uses, minimum lot sizes, minimum building setbacks, maximum heights, etc. In general, the goal of the map is to match the current zoning and/or use or to make changes as needed to reflect new zoning classifications.
Please contact the Planning Department with questions at (419) 354-6218 or by Email.