Rental Registration

Rental Registration Program

City Council passed Ordinance Number 8929 on May 17, 2021 requiring owners of residential rental property units to register each of their rental units (except properties as described in Section 153.03 B and C).  

How do I register my rental units?

For your convenience, the City has created options for registration:

If you own multiple dwelling units (more than 10 rental houses or rental units), the City recommends an electronic list (Excel is preferred) of properties be submitted, which includes –

1.    Property owner name, mailing address, email, and phone number

2.    Rental property addresses, unit numbers, and number of bedrooms

3.    Authorized agent name (if required), mailing address, email, and phone number   

If you own 10 or less rental houses or rental units, the City recommends submitting the required information electronically using this online portal.

There is an option for a paper application that can be filled out per address.

Please note that if a property owner or manager does not live within 35 miles of the City of Bowling Green, an authorized agent must be reported that is located within 35 miles of the City.  The purpose of the authorized agent is to serve as a contact who will be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to accept service on behalf of the owner.

The ordinance also requires that owners are required to update any changes on ownership, registration information, or agent change as needed.  Changes may be made with the paper application or the web-based version of the application.

How long is my rental registration valid for?

The initial registration period ends on December 31, 2021 and is valid indefinitely unless there is a change of ownership, use, or change of information.  To submit any registration updates, the options above can be utilized.  

What if my property is exempted from registration?

The City of Bowling Green still requires that you submit (using the paper form or online form) evidence of why your property is exempted from registration.   Exemptions are listed under Section 153.03 (B) and (C)


Contact the Planning Department at (419) 354-6218 or email Jason Westgate, Code Enforcement Officer.